Monday, February 16, 2009

Assignment #8 - The Real Riel

Good Tuesday morning, pals!

I hope that you had an absolutely wonderful LO-O-O-ONG weekend! I'd love to hear what you did this weekend, you can leave a comment and let me know what you did for Family Day! I don't know if you realized, but yesterday was not only Family Day, it was also Louis Riel Day, a holiday celebrated in the province of Manitoba.

Louis Riel was a colourful character who helped to form the country you know and love today. There is a lot of controversy surrounding his legacy. Some people see him as a Father of Confederation, while others see him as a traitor.

In this class, we think a lot about the impact of the things that we do. We've talked a lot about what the world will look like in the future. I wonder if Louis Riel ever thought about how much impact his actions would have on present-day Canada.

Your assignment is to read about Louis Riel to try to understand some of the reasons why people feel so strongly about him, either positively or negatively. You will then write an imaginary interview between you and Louis Riel, giving him an opportunity to talk about himself and defend his decisions. You have to make sure to introduce him, like an interviewer would, telling your audience a little bit about who it is you are talking to and why he is important. Then, you will write three (or more) questions to be asked by you and answered by him. You must write both the questions and the answers.

You should write this as a new post on your own blog and in the form of a script. For example,
Miss Pollock: Welcome, Mr. Banana-Pants. We are so happy to have you here today to talk about all your experiences.
Mr. Banana-Pants: Thanks so much, it's my great pleasure and passion to be here with you today.
(Note: Your interview will obviously be much, much superior to this. It may be difficult to do that, but I have faith in you.)

I suggest that you begin your research by using a search engine (such as google) and entering "Louis Riel", or reviewing some of the information on wikipedia.org or another online encyclopedia. Once you've found out some basic information, you should go into more depth with your search. For some bonus marks, leave a comment here to let us all know where you found great information and what your process was for working on this assignment.

I will be evaluating your Interview with Louis Riel based on the following criteria:
-link to this question
-links to source websites (at least three different sources used)
-interesting questions asked
-insightful answers provided
-accuracy of information
-layout of your post
-conventions: spelling, grammar and punctuation
***UPDATE: (Feb 18th 12:03 p.m.) Jamal in E7B found a one-minute long video about Louis Riel. You can check it out by visiting his blog.***
***UPDATE #2: (Feb 18th 2:13 p.m.) Hanifa in E7A also found a wonderful site with lots of information about Louis Riel.***
***UPDATE #3: (Feb 23rd 1:11 p.m.) The lovely Carly in E7/8 has found two sites that have not yet been linked to. Check out her first link and her second link.***
***UPDATE #4: (Feb 23rd 1:16 p.m.) Magnificent Jessica has found a site for research as well. Remember that each of you have to use three sites for reference!***
***UPDATE #5: (Feb 24th 8:32 a.m.) Hasan has found two sites that he thinks are really helpful.***
***UPDATE #6: (Feb 24th 8:33 a.m.) Ahoy,Metis (yes, you do say it like "Matey"): Tale and Firas in E7/8 have learned about what Metis means. Tale has even created an explanation for you to check out.***
***UPDATE #7: Froher in E7/8 found a site that she found helpful.***
***UPDATE #8: Russell in E7B found a site that he liked.***
***UPDATE #9: Marsha has made a post describing lots of great sources.***
***UPDATE #10: Alem in E8C found a really cool site about the Mysteries of Canada. It has a terrific article about Louis Riel.***
***UPDATE #11: Firas in E7/8 has written an excellent interview.***

39 comments:

Unknown said...

Do I have to do this

Janet said...

Cool! I never thought there was any such thing as Louis Riel Day. More new things to learn...

history with youssef.h said...

on the long weekend i played alot of video games. And for family day my family and I went to a resturont :D

Damien said...

I went snowboarding on family day and did a awsome faceplant cause thats just the way it is when you go off a ramp to fast.

Jamal said...

I Linked to the site i went to on my blog go to it:D

H.H.23 said...

hey miss.pollock just wondering can i do more then three questions

Hanifa K. said...

Hi Miss Pollock,

I found Lots of information on the site I visited...Check it out on my blog.

Thanks..

eiman said...

I never knew that there was "LOUIS RIEL DAY".On Family Day I just sat at home and watched T.V.with my family.Alsoi played with my baby sister.

Anonymous said...

Hey Miss p

I did Numero 8 can go see it.


Thanks :)

Sarah S. said...

Hi Miss Pollock,
I'm not sure this is the place where we are to right what we did on the weekend and on family day, but I saw another comment saying what they did on family day so I’m leaving mine here too.

I had a very fun weekend; it was filled with lots of activities!

~ I went to 3 concerts, 1 on Friday at winterlude, and 2 on valentine's day, one was at the NAC, where I saw Oliver Jones( the person I did my assignment 6 on)and the other was at the Bronson center.

~ I went skating for the first time this winter! I went to a rink just out side of my house but I am hoping and probably going to go to the cannel next weekend.

~ I went out to dinner 2 nights in a row. I went to “elephant in castle" in the rideau center. Then the second place I went to was “pub Italia" and I had some yummy pizza. I also got to eat at the bar, for the first time because there were no tables left. (Don’t worry I dislike alcohol, and I don't think I’m going to drink it when I am older, or if I do, not a lot.)

~ Then on Family day I went to the museum of civilization. To get there we took the o train, because it was free. At the museum we saw 2 IMAX movies- one on the Grand Canyon, and the other on ancient Egypt civilization. I also went to 2 exhibits, one on glenn gould, and the other one goes with the Egypt movie. I really enjoy both exhibits, I found the ancient artifacts really cool, there were some things that we around 3200 B.C. years old. I also saw a few mummies!

Those are a few things I did on the 4 day weekend, sorry for the long comment.

~ Whippster

p.s. Does your brother go by “Michael” or “mike”?
That’s neat that Michel/ mike goes to Nepean high school, my cousin is in that school to in grade 9. My aunt also went to Nepean high school for grades 10-12.

Carly M♥ said...

Here are three sites i found interesting, hopefully it helps people out :D

http://www.shsb.mb.ca/Riel/eparents.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Riel

http://library2.usask.ca/northwest/background/riel.htm

Firas D. said...

here is a website that has a lot of information on Louis Riel: http://www.shsb.mb.ca/Riel/eparents.htm

so if you what to go there, just copy and paste this.

Anonymous said...

hi miss pollock
i couldn't do my blog for the hole weak so i couldn't work on it.
from leila

Jessica said...

Hey Mrs.Pollock I found a really cool site. its called
http://library2.usask.ca/northwest/background/riel.htm

eiman said...

My sister's name is Maasuma she is 4 years old.

Gofran Hashim said...

Hi Mrs.Pollock

I'm done assignment #8

So please check it

Gofran Hashim said...

I'm done assignment #8

Auguste said...

Ms.Pollock I'm done my assignment number 8 post please see it and grade it accordingly.

Firas D. said...

Here is another website that talks about Louis Riel:
http://library2.usask.ca/northwest/background/riel.htm

san said...

Hey miss polick.
I Have found a Number of really good site about Mr. Riel.
1-http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=a1ARTA0006837
2-http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/confederation/023001-2390-e.html

Froher.A said...

hey mrs.pollock i found this site that is helpful for researching about louis reil
http://www.shsb.mb.ca/Riel/indexenglish.htm

imthai said...

XDD
i did nothing =3
. . .
great a new assignment >_<

Marsha C said...

Miss Pollock,
I was searching trough google and found some sites about Louis Real. Please check out my blog if you want to see it. :)

Auguste said...

Ms Pollock Im done my louis reil #8 blog please check it out.

Emily Z said...

Heey Ms Pollock, Lizzie was sick today, and Adria had to go home, so we couldn't finish the ending of the video, but it will be uploaded by Sunday, because we have to finish shooting and then we have to upload it.

Anonymous said...

hi Mrs.Pollock i edited my assignement #8 can you check it out

Rania said...

Heyy i found a cool video about Louis riel check it out

Alma said...

heey miss.Pollack:P
For assignment #8 i found this interesting poem that Louis Riel wrote. Check it out!:)

Russell said...

i found a great louis riel website but i couldn't insert it as a link .

http://www.metisnation.org/culture/Riel/home.html

Anonymous said...

hi miss pollock i need more time on my # 8 so acn i? thank you

Sarah S. said...

Hi Miss Pollock,
from doing assignment number 8 i found a good website that people who have not done there assignments yet can use. It is http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Atrium/4832/riel.html, i found some really great information on it, so i hope it helps people!

~ Sarah

ally.96 said...

Hey Miss Pollock!
I have finished my assingment 8 and I have added some cool pictures.Check it out!

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Pollock, I need you to give me an topic to teach the class about :)

Alem said...

Hi Miss Pollock,
I found a great site that actually answers some of the questions that we want information about. Its called mysteriesofcanada.com but here's the exact page: http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Canada/riel.htm

I advise others to look at it.

Haron said...

I have finshed my assignment #8, cheak it out when you have the time.

eiman said...

Hey Miss.Pollock,

I finished Assignment#8.

Hanifa K. said...

Hi,

sooo exhausted from doing assignment #8! Anyways, I'm done A.#8
Check it out please....

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Pollock,

I completed Assignment #8 on my blog, all ready to be marked. =P
Thanks!
Neha ☺

Alma said...

hi miss.pollock

i made some changes on my assignment number 8