Friday, March 6, 2009

Grade 8s - Assignment #10: Diary/Letter from the Railroad



Hi Grade 8s,

Your new assignment is up on Mike's blog. Check it out and get rocking!

You will write as someone involved with the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway between 1881-1885.

If you're stuck for information, here are some places to get started
The Railroad in General
-Wikipedia entry on the Canadian Pacific Railway, lots of basic information
-The Canadian Pacific Railway website traces the history of the Railway, this may help if you are writing from the point of view of a person overseeing its construction.
-The Canadian Encyclopedia has an article that includes information about some of the people in charge of the railroad and the great importance of its construction

Chinese Railway Workers
-Historica has a one minute video depicting the danger of building a railroad that cut through mountains
-The Wikipedia entry on the History of Chinese immigration to Canada explains what life was like for Chinese immigrants in the section "Immigration for the Railway".
-The Chinese Canadian Culture Online Project presents information about Chinese Railroad workers
-Parks Canada posted an article commemorating Chinese Railroad workers lost during the construction of the railway
-This is the text of a speech made to the US House of Representatives in 1999 commemorating the lives of Chinese Railroad workers and their contributions to the building of the transcontinental railroad. There are also photos included.
-This is an excellent article that includes information about how much the Chinese workers were paid for their backbreaking labour. It also describes what happened to the workers after they died. Heavy stuff.
-Gordon Lightfoot, a Canadian singer wrote the song, "The Canadian Railroad Triolgy". Read over the lyrics or listen to the song to help you out with some ideas.

You will be evaluated based on the following expectations:
-Point of view - you have done an excellent job "stepping into the shoes" of your writer and we can fully understand his or her opinion
-Information used - your letter or diary has lots of information based on fact
-Map included - you have included a map of where these people were living and/or working
-Link to three sites you used for information
-Vocabulary - you use appropriate vocabulary
-Creativity - your work is written in your own words and in a unique way

Here is what you are expected to learn:
-explore the Canadian Pacific Railway as a factor contributing to the settlement and development of western Canada
-use a variety of resources and tools to gather, process and communicate information
-identify some key individuals and groups whose efforts led to the railway's completion
-use a variety of sources to locate relevant information about the building of the railway
-analyze, synthesize and evaluate historical information
-describe and analyse conflicting points of view about a historical event
-use appropriate vocabulary to describe inquiries and observations

8 comments:

Andrew said...

Mrs. Pollock, can you tell me what my mark is right now, and what it was before my assignments became overdue?

Sarah S. said...

Hi Miss Pollock,
I was just wondering if i can get extra marks if i add some posts that are not history related. I think i am going to make another blog and put posts on that, but if not i might add them too my history blog.
Well talk to later,
Whippy

Sarah S. said...

Hi miss Pollock,
I was just wondering if it was possible if we can have a few more days to work on assignment 10, I want to make it a good assignment so I don't wan to rush it though.
Also I can't find much information so far.
What I want to do is a Chinese child who was sent with her dad to work on the railway, and back home has her mother and baby brother. I got inspired by that idea from a book I read called " an ocean apart" expect they went to Canada to make there lives better but couldn't afford to bring there mother and brother, so they save up to bring them all together, expect there poor so it was difficult. I know you don't want to assign homework on the march break which is good, but maybe it could be due for Monday, sine the march break starts officially on Monday. I think most people would appreciate it, if you can't assign it latter, than maybe can you help me find a site, and is this a good idea?

~ Whippy

LEMONS HEAL said...

Hello, Ms. Pollock

I'm just letting you know that we are getting a new computor...

And related to that, I am on the old computor writing this comment quickly before he has to replace the computor... This means that I won't have my assignment number 10 finished for friday. My dad says that he doesn't know how long it will take, but when he tells me that I can use the internet, I will continue the assignment. I will probably have it done by the end of March Break, and I will let you know when I am finished.

Thankyou!

~~ Helena

Carly M♥ said...

hey miss Pollock,
i was wondering if we could have alittle more time to work on this assignment because im going to be busy over the march break skiing, going to toronto etc. And i couldnt find enough information to do a full A+ assignment tonight, so if i could, could i have afew more days? I was thinking maybe i could do it this weekend and then alittle on the monday were back at school (the 22nd) and then post it on the 23rd? If not i can try to do it earlier, just to do my best i need afew more days :) thankss!

Caarlyy

Sarah S. said...

Hello Miss Pollock,
You were not at school today, were you sick? Well I hope you are doing okay. I was just wondering if
assignment 10 due on Friday, first period, if we had to the end of class to finish it, or should it be done before the class. I am having fun with the assignment so far, sorry all my assignments are pretty long but once I am really into something I can write for hours! Well see you soon.

~ Whippy

p.s. I missed today’s run because I was clarifying things for my math test coming up. I will either due 2 km tomorrow(Thursday) or I will due one on the weekend, I’ll probably due one on the weekend because I have to go to band after the run tomorrow.

Sarah S. said...

Hi Miss Pollock,
I haven't finished assignment 10 yet just I posted it because I had to arranged some things with the post and I didn't want it to erase, and with my automatic save every minuet I might have erased, so if you come across that assignment than I am not quite done, I will let you know when it is perfecto!
- Whippy

Sarah S. said...

Hello Miss Pollock,
My post didn't post last night because there were some errors but I'm just letting you know, Assignment 10 is complete!
Yay! I hope you like it as I put lots of afford into it, sorry it's long again, just when I'm into writing something I can right for hours! Yep I had fun with this one!
Anyways comment when you can and let me know how it is,
~ Whippy