Thursday, January 22, 2009

Assignment #6: Black History Month


Hello habibtis,

February, as most of you know, is Black History Month. One of the things we'll be doing at Fielding to commemorate this month-long celebration is daily announcements after O'Canada. I teach about 110 History students. There are about 20 school days in February. Out of my 110 students, about 20 will win. This assignment is also a competition.

Your job is to:
-Select an influential African-Canadian
-Read about them from at least two sources
-Link to those two sources
-In your own words, write a New Post describing who that person is/was and what important contributions they made to Canadian society and the world
-Your entry should be about two paragraphs long, or take about 1 minute to read aloud (just for your information, when screenwriters or TV writers write a script, one computer page of script takes about one minute to perform)
-Winning: The writers of the top entries will have the priviledge to either read their entries over the morning announcements in February or select a friend to read it for them

***Update: Here are some places to start looking for information: 10 Famous Black Canadians , Famous Black Canadians , Wikipedia's List of Black Candians , A List of Canadian Firsts, African-Canadian Online has information about black artists, African Heritage Newsletter, Profiles of Achievement,

***You get to select who you are profiling, but here are some ideas. You do not have to pick a name off the list. If you choose to use one of the names off the list, please comment here and they will be taken off the list:
.
-Bromley L. Armstrong - Civil Rights Leader
-Dionne Brand - Poet

-Rita Cox - Activist
-John Sullivan Deas - Tinsmith
-Mifflin Gibbs - Author
-Rev. Addie Aylestock - Minister
-Jean Augustine
-George Bancroft
-Lennox Farrell
-The Jamaican Maroons (a group of people)
-Africville (see above!)
-Peter C. Butler III (first black police officer in Canada)
-Richard Preston
.
-Fergie Jenkins (Baseball player) - Bardha, E8C
-Daurene Lewis (first black female mayor in North America) - Claudia
-The Anti-Slavery Society of Canada - Rachel, E7A
-Sophia Burthen Pooley - Nada, E7A
-The Second Construction Battalion (first black battalion in Canada) - Philip, E7A
-Daniel Igali - Wrestler - Jaspreet, E7A
-Emery Barnes - High Jumper - Haron, E7A
-Carrie Best - Activist - Neha, E8C
-Sam Langford (boxer) - Cody, E7A
-Miflin Gibbs - Judge - Hanifa, E7A
-Nathaniel Dett - Educator- Michelle, E7B
-Rosemary Brown - Mariam Me, E7A
-Jarome Iginla - Andi, E7A
-Deborah Cox - Helena, E7/8
-The Underground Railroad (not a person, but an important set of events) - Youssef H., E7B
-Dirk Graham - Aynalem, E7B
-Measha Brueggergosman (singer) - Genny, E7B
-Mark McKoy - James, E7B
-Frederick Douglas - Abolitionist - Mariam Mo, E7B
-Dirk Graham (first NHL captain of African descent) - Damien, E7B
-Mary Matilda Winslow (first black female graduate of UNB) - Janet, E7B
-Rannee Lee - Marsha, E7B
-Viola Desmond (business owner) - Grace, E7B
-Donovan Bailey (Olympian) - Auguste, E8C
-Malcolm Gladwell (journalist) - Andrew, E7/8
-Michaelle Jean - Gofran, E7A
-Marlene Jennings (politician) - Amit, E7/8
-Rose Fortune (first Canadian female police officer) - Lindsay, E7/8
-Shadrach Minkins (slave) - Ry, E7/8
-Marie-Joseph Angelique (slave) - Adria, E7/8
-William Hall - Firas, E7/8
-Josiah Henson (former slave) - Ally, E7/8
-Charmaine Crook - Olympian Runner - Kane, E7/8
-Mathieu Da Costa - Interpreter - Tale, E7/8
-John Alleyne - Dancer - Carly, E7/8
-Lincoln Alexander - Lieutenant Governor of Ontario - Froher, E7/8
-Chloe Cooley - Slave - Chongo, E7/8
-Elijah McCoy - Inventor - Jack, E7/8
-George Dixon - Boxer - Stefan V, E7/8
-George Bonga - Voyageur - Sandra, E7/8
-Dr. Anderson Ruffin-Abott (first Black Canadian physician) - Tim, E7/8
-Olivier Le Jeune - first Black Canadian - Kawal, E7/8
-Mary Anne Shadd - Activist/Teacher - Jessi, E7/8
-John Ware - Cowboy - Hasan, E7/8
-Oscar Peterson - Jazz Pianist - Sabrina, E7/8
-Harry Jerome - Shukria, E7/8
-Portia White - Singer - Santana, E7/8 & Sam, E7A
-Oliver Jones - Sarah, E7/8
***

***Update: (8:25 a.m. Jan 23rd) Biography has a great site about Black History. I haven't explored yet to find a lot of Canadians, but it seems like a very interesting site.***

79 comments:

amitj said...

I added information to my assignment one and three if you haven't already seen it. I also respnded to my thought on technology. I put more gagdets on my website to make it more interesting.

Carly M♥ said...

ACTUALLY, i call John Alleyne - Dancer :) ahaha sorry

Froher.A said...

hey
i am going to do lincoln alexander but i might change....not 100% sure yet

Anonymous said...

I think i want "George Bonga - Voyageur"

kane.cp3 said...

Stefan Vijackic is doing George Dixon

kane.cp3 said...

i want to do my assignment on Charmaine Crook

Kawal said...

Hey actually i change my mind i wanted to do Olivier Le Jeune - first Black Canadian.

Unknown said...

Elijah Mcoy TAKEN by JACK!!!

Sarah S. said...

I'm doing oliver jones.

Adria B said...

can i have Marie-Joseph Angelique please

Lindsay said...

hey mrs pollock
Rose Fortune (first Canadian female police officer) is now taken by Lindsay

amitj said...

Marlene Jennings(politics)-taken by amit

Firas D. said...

Hello Ms. Pollock. I decided to choose William Hall because he is the best of them all, in my opinion.

Jaspreet Gill said...

testing/...

Gofran Hashim said...

Hi Mrs.Pollock

I want to do Michaelle Jean

Auguste said...

Ms. Pollock I'm so excited thanks for doing this fun project with us!

Auguste said...

Ms. pollock I'm going to do Donovan Bailey on my history aasignment.

Auguste said...

Hi Ms.Pollock Can I please do Donovan Bailey for my black history project?

Anonymous said...

hi mrs.pollock im really starting to like blogging.But I have to catch up with everybody.

by:nada

Auguste said...

Ms. Pollock I'm done My assignment #6 please check it out!

Anonymous said...

hello miss pollock,
I was just wondering If my assignment 6 could be a day late, because i have been sick, and in bed since sunday so i couldn't work on it. Do you lose marks if it's late, or even if it's late but you were sick? I might come to school tormorow but i will have to see how i am in the morning, well bye for now,
Whippy

san said...

hey ms.pollick I going to be writing about Harry Jerome

Santana B said...

Hey Ms. Pollock come check out my blog I added a cool new history widget

Anonymous said...

I'm using Viola Desmond as the Africa-Canadian person.

Marsha C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet said...

Hi, Mrs.Pollock, I think I'm going to do my assignment #6 on Mary Matilda Winslow. :)

James said...

Hey Ms. Pollock!

I've decided to do my assignment on Mark McKoy.

James

Aynalem<3 said...

heyy miss. pollock
dirk graham

Genny said...

Hi Miss.Pollock,

I will be doing:
-Measha Brueggergosman (singer)

:)

Marsha C said...

Miss Pollock, I actually going to do Ranee Lee.

Marsha C said...

Miss Pollock, I actually going to do Ranee Lee.

Anonymous said...

Why does Canada have racism against black people? I though it was only Southern United States.
How did Canada have the idea of racism anyway?

Husam said...

hi i am doing harreit tubman so dont her

history with youssef.h said...

i got the Underground rail road

LEMONS HEAL said...

I am going to write about Deborah Cox

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Pollock, why is there discrimination in Canada, too? What made the people think the blacks are different from the whites here?

Shauna Pollock said...

Hi Grace,

Sorry I didn't answer your question sooner - I saw that you had to add it twice!

I was thinking a lot about this and I don't know exactly how to answer your question.

The bigger question is, why is there racism anywhere? What is it that makes people hate, dislike or judge negatively people that are different? Perhaps it is all about fear. People fear things that they do not understand. Many people, rather than trying to learn something new, channel that fear into negative emotions, like hate.

As long as people have been living together, individuals have been judged on a number of characteristics. Unfortunately, when someone stands out because of looking different, some people react negatively.

Racism in Canada is not necessarily as public as it is in some other parts of the world, but it is certainly still there. It's sometimes more sinister when it is hidden away.

It is so important for people to be empathic and understand where different people come from and embrace, rather than fear, differences.

Anonymous said...

Hello Miss.Pollock. I would like to work on Rosemary Brown if no one elser is doing it. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hello Miss.Pollock. I would like to work on Rosemary Brown if no one elser is doing it. Thank you.

Hanifa K. said...

hi miss Pollock,

I would like to work on Mifflin Gibbs-Author(i added an entry, it's not really Canadian history, but still historical, check it out)

Hanifa!

Michelle said...

hey miss pollock
im going to do Nathaniel Dett

Chongo B. said...

Hey Miss Pollock,
i made some edits to the beggining of my assignment number 6.
CHECK IT OUT ! :)

Gofran Hashim said...

Hi Mrs.Pollock

I'm done my assignment #6

so please check it out

samantha said...

Hey Miss Pollock is it alright if I do Viola Desmond.

samantha said...

Sorry Miss Pollock I don't want Viloa Desmond anymore.

Hanifa K. said...

hello miss Pollock,

you know how you wrote that Mifflin Gibbs is an author? on every research that I made it always turned out that Mifflin Gibbs is a judge...

hanifa

samantha said...

Hey Miss Pollock is it allright if I do Portia White.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Pollock, thanks for answering my question!

Yo Industries said...

hey miss.pollock
i was wondering if I could do mine on michaile jordan

bye

Jordie said...

Hey Miss Pollock I have decided to do Fergie Jenkins for my assignment if that is ok

Jordie said...

I am just letting you know if I am not done this assignment by monday it is because none of the sites you gave me had Fergie Jenkins in them.

Sarah S. said...

Hello miss pollock,

I'm just letting you know, my assignment 6 is done, the date is messed up on my blog to, what do i set it at, pacif time? anyways i am felling better, thanks for letting me have a few extra days on my assignment, bcause i couldn't work on my it until friday night,well i'm comming to school tormorow, so see you then,
bye!

~whippy

p.s. on the qizz i think you were spose to get 9/10 , because one question was mixed up, the one that says: what province has the biggest population. The answer on there is alberta, but the real answer is ontario, anywas i am glad you like my quizz, and linked to it from you site so more people can do it, so far i think there is 29 people who played it! I am going to make another shorly, and add it onto my site.

samantha said...

Hey Miss Pollock
I finished all the writting on assingment #6 but I was wondering if it would be ok if you would show me how to put a picture on it before you mark it. I tryed but I was having trouble.

Anonymous said...

I would like to reasearch about The Second Construction Battalion (first black battalion in Canada)

.PHILIP

Anonymous said...

im done assighnement 3# go check it out thanks!

Haron said...

i call Emery Barnes the High Jumper

Jaspreet Gill said...

Mrs. Pollock I claim Daniel Igali!
(Wrestler) Woot go WWE!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Pollock, I'm gonna do Carrie Best, the activist/journalist for my assignment. Shes on your list, by the way.

:) Neha

Zaryab said...

Miss pollock, check out my site and look at the adjustments I made with a new post!

imthai said...

Miss Pollock Can I Do Kardinal official? =3
-sara

san said...

Hey miss pollock. I have edited assignment 6 can you please check it?

Rachel said...

Hi mis pollock for assment6# can do the ani-slavery society of cananda

Yo Industries said...

hey miss.pollock
I changed my mind
insted can i do it on Samuel Dalembert

bye

Bardha(: said...

hi miss pollock
ive decided to write about
Fergie Jenkins (Baseball player)

Alem said...

Hi Miss Pollock,
I just wanted to let you know that I have done my project on DR. RITA COX.

Claudia said...

Hey Miss Pollock! I am going to do Daurene Lewis (first black female mayor in North America)!

Anonymous said...

hi miss pollock
for my assinment 6 i need a little bit more informasion about aretha franklyn so i need more time for that so thanks from leila

H.H.23 said...

hey ms.pollock im gonna need extra time for assignment#7 please


Hanad

Mimi said...

Hey Miss.Pollock, I was wondering if u didnt mark assignment #6 really quick because i dnt kno how to post a picture in my post. Thank you

Mariam.me

H.H.23 said...

hey miss.pollock could i do assiment#6 on Willie O'Ree

yusuf .o history said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yusuf .o history said...

Mrs. pollock

Can i do it on mohamed ali please and thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Miss Pollock

I am doing Mary Anne Shadd. I don't think she is on the list but she sounds interesting so please can I write about her?

thanks,
adam e7a

Mariam A said...

Hi Mrs.Pollock

I want to do Richard Preston.

Mariam A said...

Hi Mrs.Pollock

I want to do Richard Preston.

thank you!

Yo Industries said...

hey miss.pollock i finished #6

Mariam A said...

Hi Mrs.pollock

I finished assignment#6.

Thank you!

Esmat said...

Hi Ms Pollock

im doing Jamaal Magloire

Anonymous said...

Mrs Pollock im doing Harry Jerome one of the first black canadain athlete.