Thursday, January 8, 2009

Assignment #3: History of the Future

In searching for cool stuff for you folks to read, I found a blog maintained by a historian named Christopher Moore. You should check it out. He wishes "there were enough worthwhile Canadian history blogs to make .....(a) list". Perhaps some of your blogs will be just that!

I especially like an entry titled "To the Nines -- reviewing the centuries". I would like you to check it out and read it so you can hear one perspective on how far our wonderful country has come in the past 500 years. He discusses what Canada has looked like and felt like both from a newcomers' point of view, as well as from Natives' point of view. It's a pretty interesting way of looking at things, making sure to see history through different sets of eyes.

Your assignment is to read the entry discussed above and respond to the author's final sentence. He wonders what Canada will look like in one hundred years. Please write a blog entry (on your own blog) speculating on what may be happening in Canada in 2109. It may be tempting to just talk about things like flying cars, but please try to think long and hard about this. Reflect on some of the things that have happened in the last five hundred years and what will change in our country in terms of politics, the environment, population and big historical events. Think about how exciting it is in the United States that there is an incoming black president. What sort of exciting things will happen in the next hundred years here?

***Make sure in your blog entry to introduce what it is you're talking about and to link back to Christopher Moore's blog ***

***Update: (3:30 p.m. Jan 21st) Samantha in E7A has made some great observations and predictions about where we are headed. She predicts another female Prime Minister and a first black Prime Minister. She also predicts more schooling will take place in the blogosphere.
Some other students have predicted very interesting things like an Aboriginal Canadian Prime Minister, population laws similar to those in China, alternative sources of fuel, desolate conditions around the world due to global warming.
You have so many interesting ideas! Keep on sharing them with one another!***
.
***Update (12 p.m. January 26th) - Janet has made a very good entry that you can look at as an example. She writes very clearly and even uses bullet points to make her writing easy to read. Her ideas are very optimistic and positive. ***
.
***Update (9:05 a.m. January 27th) - Alem has done an exceptional job with this assignment. She has listed many predictions and is very specific. Well done!***

Be creative, be specific.

It's time to write about the history of the future!

31 comments:

Santana B said...

This is homework right? Great blog.

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Pollock and students,

What a project! Good luck with your thoughts about 2009. I am going to follow this with interest.

Adria B said...

hi miss pollock,
i have finished my assignment#3:History of the future but i dont know if my coment was posted.what should i do?

Shukria A said...

Hi Ms. Pollock. When is assignment #3 due?

ally.96 said...

Hi Miss.Pollock,I have a qustion about assignment#3.Now that you have tought me how to make a new blog entry I would like to know what we are supposed to write on our blog entry.Also do we have to make some of the things links?I'm so lost:(

Emily Z said...

Hi Ms. Pollock, I am just getting started on assignment #3. I wouldh've started yesterday but my temperature rised up to 39 degrees! Anyway, i was searching up some cool layouts for my blog and I found the perfect one to match my earrings :) It is a Chanel layout and it is so awesome!

Chongo B. said...

Hi Miss Pollock,
is project number 3 due on monday the 12th ?

ally.96 said...

Hi Miss.Pollock,I finally get what we do for assignment#3!Thank-you so much for all your help:)Now I just need to know when it is due?Would it be due our next history class?

hind a said...

hello
mrs.pollock i need ur help
acually i was late to creat my blog so i miss the 1st and 2nd assigment can u send me what there are about
iam waiting ur comment !!
thnx

Bardha(: said...

Hi miss Pollock, i was wondering if we had to comment on your blog so you could link our blog to yours?
-Bardha.

Sarah S. said...

hey miss Pollock, thanks for the comment. I added a few more points that I think will happen in 2109. (assignment 3) , so you can look at those after . The blogging I think is going really well, it's fun and I think everyone is having a really great time.

~Whippy

Yo Industries said...

hey mrs.pollock
Are we supposed to do assignment #3for homework

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss.Pollock, i was wondering if asignment #3 was due. It's because in the computer lab with
E7B, you didnt tell u if it was due or not.Please responds back to me.

Thank you.
Mariam.Me

Shauna Pollock said...

Hi Mariam,

Can you tell me the address of your blog, please?

Assignment #1 is due for your class for tomorrow, Assignment #2 and #3 will be due later.

Anonymous said...

Hi again Miss.Pollock.
How do u edit the title, because u wrote histoy instead of history. :)



Mariam.Me

Makusi Peter said...

hi Miss Pollock how do you link to the teacher's blog?

Lindsay said...

Hi Miss Pollock! :)

hind a said...

hello mrs.pollock
i didnt do assignment #3 because i didn't know if we have to creat a new post and write the names of our friends and what we commented or post the link of the page that have the comment or we just go to there blog and comment thee and u will see it later
can u help me please??:)

Mimi said...

Hi Miss.Pollock.

the address of y blog is www.historymariam.blogspot.com

Alem said...

Hey Miss.Pollock,
I just wanted to say that this project is one that i am really interested in and can't wait to finish.

Alem

H.H.23 said...

hi miss pollock im gonna have to talk to you about my assiment on mlkjr

H.H.23 said...

Hi everbody look at my blog and please comment my cover is cool

from hanad

Zaryab said...

Miss Pollock, I need help because I forgot how to link websites so please advise me the instructions on my welcome blog comments.
Oh and I enjoy the integrated project but I need to catch up in a day so slow down pretty please
A man with a plan,
Zaryab

Damien said...

Done :)

Chelsea said...

Great blog Miss Pollock!!!

Jessica said...

Yes, but there is still people littering using uneeded electricity and so on, but that's just my view.

Janet said...

Hi Mrs.Pollock,
Have you seen my assignment #3 and #4?

Genny said...

Hi Miss. Pollock,

I think that education of the kids will improve because, I think people will invent better text books that have more affective information. I also think they will improve because there will be more for kids too learn.

Firas D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Firas D. said...

i redid my assignments 3 and 4. please be sure to check them out.

Trevor B said...

I know it's over due but I’m trying to get it done for the dance but when I try to comment it won’t let me
Trevor