Tuesday, March 31, 2009

E7/8 - Today we Live Blog


Good morning, E7/8,

Today we'll be live blogging. That means that we'll all be working on our blogs simultaneously while we are sitting here in the Lab.

I don't mind if you work with a partner today so long as the two of you stay on task. I reserve the right to split you up if I feel you are not on task.

I've listened carefully and thought a lot about what you said about blogging, and I'll be making some changes.

Today, for example, you are going to do some research and you won't be marked on the finish product, but you will be marked on your process of gathering information and then participating in our class discussion.

Your job today is to look at the questions at the bottom of this post and figure out some ways to answer them so that when we have a class discussion about these topics next class, you will be well prepared.

Please let us know if you find any particularly wonderful sites.

In answering the questions, you may use full sentences or jot notes, your choice. As you publish answers, let me know so that I can link to you. Hopefully this will enable us to get an online discussion going. Post anything that you find interesting - links, information...

None of these questions have simple answers. They all have complex, involved answers. Try to give yourself a bit of an overview of some of the issues involved. You will do research to find some answers, you can talk with your partner and you will use your own inferencing skills to come up with some answers to the following:

Grade 7s
-How did the influx of Loyalist refugees change things in Canada?
-What were some of the causes (the reasons that it started) of the War of 1812?
-What were some of the effects (the things that happened because of) of the War of 1812?
-What would life for a Canadian look like, feel like and be like at this time in our history? (1775 - American Revolution started, 1783-1784 - approx. 50 000 Loyalists migrated to Canada)


Grade 8s
-How did the completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway change Canada? -What were some of the causes of the Red River Rebellion?
-What were some of the effects of the Red River Rebellion?
-What would life for a Canadian look like, feel like and be like at this time in our history? (1881-1885 - construction of the CPR, 1869 - Red River Rebellion)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

jess and i found a website based on all the things that the loyalists influenced in shelburne and birchtown. http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/CommunityMemories/AAQO/000a/Exhibits/English/index.html

-Jess and Shukria

Unknown said...

CHECK MY BLOG IMEDIATELY

Auguste said...

Ms. Pollcok please look at my assignment #10 on my blog and grade it. Please also comment on my blog to tell me if it needs any improvement to get myself a better mark.

Sarah S. said...

Hi Miss Pollock,
I just wanted to let you know I did
a blog post for Assignment 11 ( The questions to preparer for the class discussion.) And I worked with Froher so on her blog she has it linked to my blog. Well talk to you latter,
~Whippy

p.s. A site I found helpful was http://www.shsb.mb.ca/Riel/erebellion.htm